Monday, July 4, 2011

July's Author - J.R. Rain

A little bit about J.R. Rain per his website:  http://www.jrrain.com

As a kid I was always making stuff: skates, skateboards, skimboards, skis, sleds, clothing, furniture, wood carvings, Easter baskets, comic books, you name it. I was the mother of all nerds. Anyway, I think I was searching for the one thing I wanted to keep on making for the rest of my life. Then one day I discovered Choose Your Own Adventure books. Remember those? You as the reader were asked to make choices for the characters. Choose Your Own Adventures were a lot of fun and I just had to make my own. And so I did, writing three of them, and I've been hooked on writing ever since. (Just think, I could have been hooked on making Easter baskets.) 

In high school, I was a fine balance of jock and nerd. I played football and baseball and somehow managed to write five complete novels. So how was I able to write so much and play sports and study at the same time? Easy. No girlfriend. In fact, I didn't kiss a girl until I was in college!

In college, I still managed to write two books and over 80 short stories. (Even with all the kissing.) Eventually, I graduated with a perfectly useless degree in anthropology, got married two weeks later, and shortly thereafter started my career as an insurance claims investigator. I've made better choices.

I would spend the next four years researching and writing my first adventure novel, THE LOST ARK. At the age of 28, I landed one of the biggest agents in Hollywood.

Welcome to Hollyweird. I discovered that I had a natural knack for writing screenplays. (Go figure.) For the next two years I worked exclusively with Paramount Pictures and Alphaville Productions developing various movie and TV projects. Some things worked out; most didn't. I learned much and I'm thankful for the experience.

Ultimately, I realized I had strayed far from my true love: writing novels (but never very far from my other true love: donuts). And so, with a little bit of money in the bank and some time on my hands (okay, fine, I got fired from my insurance job), I moved to Carlsbad and wrote three books: DARK HORSE, MOON DANCE, and CURSED.

Being married to a dreamer is tough. Being married to a dreamer and a writer is damn near impossible. Yup, you guessed it, after seven tough years my wife was gone, baby, gone.

Not to worry. I eventually met another girl (poor thing), and together we moved up to Seattle. Things turned ugly fast. I lost my job, my car, my money, the girl, went bankrupt, and yet somehow wrote THE MUMMY CASE in a freezing cold basement in the middle of a rainy winter, unemployed and stealing food (usually donuts) from local grocery stores.

Like the prodigal son, I eventually moved back home to southern California, where I got a new job, got my private investigator's license, got a new movie agent, moved to Hollywood and was fortunate enough to have my first novel published in November 2005 by Mundania Press.

In 2006, I wrote ELVIS HAS NOT LEFT THE BUILDING, and in 2007, I moved up to Oregon where I eventually became a vegetarian (for moral reasons), and wrote the first draft of my ghost story, THE BODY DEPARTED. In 2008, I moved back to southern California to help with my sick father.

Now in 2009, you guessed it, I'm back up in the Pacific Northwest, living on a small island in a small home with my small doggie. It's a simple, peaceful life...a life filled with writing, hiking, and Beggin' Strips.

(Remember: life is too short to work at a job you don't love. So follow your dreams, my friends, even if it means living on a faraway island in the back of beyond....)

As you can see, I've come far from those days of stealing donuts. Full circle, if you will. (Yes, that's a donut pun.) I work hard creating novels and stories for you to enjoy. So thank you for stopping by. I truly appreciate you as a reader and as a friend. My goal is to make you a lifelong fan. And remember, word-of-mouth is still the best way to promote new writers. So if you enjoyed my novels, please tell a friend.

I wish you many rainy nights of cozy reading.
J.R. Rain

Featured Books


Six years ago federal agent Samantha Moon was the perfect wife and mother, your typical soccer mom with the minivan and suburban home. Then the unthinkable happens, an attack that changes her life forever. And forever is a very long time for a vampire.
Now the world at large thinks Samantha has developed a rare skin disease, a disease which forces her to quit her day job and stay out of the light of the sun. Now working the night shift as a private investigator, Samantha is hired by Kingsley Fulcrum to investigate the murder attempt on his life, a horrific scene captured on TV and seen around the country. But as the case unfolds, Samantha discovers Kingsley isn't exactly what he appears to be; after all, there is a reason why he survived five shots to the head.



It's tough being the King.
Which is why in 1977 Elvis faked his own death and endured massive facial reconstruction surgery, and disappeared from the limelight to live a normal life as the unassuming Aaron King. Unfortunately, leaving fame behind also meant leaving his fortune behind, too, and now Elvis finds himself broke and living in near poverty in a small apartment in Los Angeles. Luckily for him, it turns out he's a pretty good private investigator.
Now in his seventies and contemplating a return to music (discreetly, of course), Elvis is hired to solve a baffling missing person case. A young starlet, at the beginning of a promising movie career, has seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth.
As Elvis digs deeper, he finds himself surrounded by the seedier elements of Los Angeles, from nefarious Hollywood producers who prey upon the young, to twin brothers with a very dark secret.
And as Elvis pieces the bizarre puzzle together, he slowly makes his singing comeback — and will be reunited on stage with someone even the King himself never dreamed possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment